Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another cougar update

This morning I got up a little early. I had a great scripture study and then I thought I would check to see if there was anything interesting going on in the world of sports. Well I was in for a great surprise. It made my day.

So in the daily universe (BYU paper) today there was an editorial about Jimmer Fredette. And they post the articles online the day before they are printed. So last night some BYU fans read this editorial.

I cant walk across campus without hearing Jimmer Fredette's name a dozen times. His name comes up everywhere: in class, at work, during lunch really, people? Cut it out with the Jimmer worship. Last time I checked, idol worship was very much frowned upon in the scriptures. Don't you have a life to live? Then quit wasting it in front of the TV or in lines at the Marriott Center. At the very least, stop trying to convert those of us who don't follow BYU sports and dont care that baseball and badminton are two different things. Pushing basketball on us isnt going to make us like it any better. I'm not blaming Jimmer for all this; was it Nephi's fault in the Book of Mormon when his brothers worshiped him? As far as I'm concerned, Jimmer is perfectly free to live his dreams. If he reaches his goals and lives his dreams, more power to him. I would like the same courtesy from his fans: let me live my own dreams in peace, even if they don't include ever sitting in the Marriott Center screaming my brains out.
Michelle
Apple Valley, Calif."

Some Cougar/Jimmer fans didn't like it so much so they found her facebook page (which was open for anyone to comment on it) and stated their opinions. Before I left for school this morning at 7:30 more than 400 comments had been posted. And they were hysterical. I will share a couple of my favorites. If you want to have some enjoyable reading you can read the rest at http://dreamcatchermedia.com/jimmered

"If Jimmer lived in Book of Mormon times, there would be Lamanites and Freddettites."

"It's funny you should mention the Book of Mormon in your article. You see Jimmer is the only person who has ever made a shot in the Americas while shooting from Jerusalem."

"Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Jimmer, behold, the very powers of the backboard would be shaken forever; yea, the rim would never have power over the deep threes of the children of men."

"Is it coincidence that Jimmer and Joseph are both from upstate NY?"

"It is better to dwell in the Marriott Center and cheer for Jimmer, than with a contentious and an angry woman."

"Can Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance? Can Jimmer really hit from way out there?"

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, but that Jimmer was endowed by his Creator with certain unalienable skills, that among these are a Crossover, Deadly Range, and the pursuit of Dominance."

"And Michelle, with her Girl-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?
It came without ribbons.
It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And she puzzled and puzzled 'till her puzzler wa...s sore.
Then Michelle thought of something she hadn't before.
What if Jimmermania, she thought, doesn't come from a store.
What if Jimmermania, perhaps, means a little bit more.”

Well that is all for now folks. There are literally hundreds more where those came from. I laughed for a long time. GO JIMMMER!

PS here is a funny music video made by Lavell Edwards (football coach), Shaun Bradley (former NBA player) and Chad Lewis (former NFL player) about Fredette. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=272&sid=14277962

1 comment:

  1. When I read this I for sure thought the title was going to be "It's another Cougar FIRST DOWN!"

    Anyhoo, yeah, that Jimmer stuff is crazy hilarious!

    ReplyDelete