Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Happy Easter

Hi family,
I know that it is weird for me to be writing on Tuesday, but
everything was closed yesterday so we are e-mailing today. Here in the
Czech Republic Easter is such a huge holiday. It is kind of ironic
because it is the most atheist country in the world but Easter is the
second biggest holiday after Christmas. Everything was closed Friday
through Monday. On Easter Monday the Czech's have a tradition where
the men have whips and they go around whipping all the woman and they
sing them a song while they do it, and then the woman have to give
them chocolate and candy. Personally, I don't see how this is fair at
all. Oh, well. The boys get to do the whipping and they get the candy.
Life's not always fair. :) So yesterday we went to Zlin and spent the
day with the elders there and then we went to a new members house for
lunch. It was really good food! It was svickova. I don't really know
how to explain it. It is dumpling with meat and a sauce, but it is so
good!

This week was a good week. We've had some really interesting
experiences. We have one investigator, Ludvik, who has been
progressing, but then he started coming this week to just Bible bash.
We had a lesson last night with him. We had given him the talk "Joseph
Smith: Prophet of the Restoration" where it talks about what we have
learned thanks to the restoration. He came in and just started Bible
bashing everything that the talk taught. Well Sister Reese and I we
just calmly sat there and told him what we believed. He didn't like
that very much. So we just ended the lesson bearing powerful testimony
and told him if he wants to learn that he can call us up but if he
just wants to Bible bash, we don't want to do it. We just have to ask
Heavenly Father. As we were talking about that, I realized how cool
that is. We really can ask Heavenly Father and He can answer. We don't
have to Bible bash because we have living prophets, and a Heavenly
Father that confirms what the living prophet says. That is a gift from
God. It is so exciting!

Also on Easter we had a neat experience. As a district we got together
on a hill overlooking Uherske Hradiste and we had a testimony meeting
and read in the Bible about Easter. It was so powerful to know that
this gospel is the same everywhere, in the whole world! The message of
the Restoration is that Christ lived, died, lived again, and still
helps us today. He is there to help us. He is there to help us
overcome our weaknesses. I am so grateful for Him. More than anything
else on my mission I think I have learned about the enabling power of
the atonement. I know that Christ helps us do things that we can't do
by ourselves. I am sometimes still prideful and try and do things by
myself, but it is not worth it. I know that through the power of the
atonement we can do hard things!

I'm so glad that you all had a great general conference. We are
watching general conference this weekend, in Czech! It is cool because
they are having the native Czech's do the translating now. It is
amazing what modern technology can do. We are so grateful.

I love you all! Have a great week!

Love,
Sestra Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment