Dear Family,
Dobry den. (good day)
Wow, what a week it has been. This last week has been the most intense week of my life. I have already learned so much from my mission. The first day I was given my companion, Sister Boiselle. She is from Canada and a great missionary. She is going to New Mexico on her mission. So she will be here for less than two weeks now. I actually never see her. I see her at 10:00 when I get back in the room and I leave her at 7:30 when I meet my district at breakfast. I am the only missionary who is learning Czech, so it is just me and the teachers in class. It is very interesting and I am learning a lot from it. It has a lot of perks and a lot of disadvantages.Right now I spend most of my time with a sister named Sister Peacock. She is actually from Orem and knows Abby very well. She is a sister heading to Slovenia. She was supposed to leave before I got here, but I think the Lord was helping me by having her visa not come. She has become a great help to me. She found out today that her visa is supposed to come on Friday so she will leave in a week. She is actually the only other sister in my whole district.So in my district there is one elder learning croatian, three elders learning Serbian, two elders learning Slovak, two elders learning Slovene and me. We are having a grand time trying to figure out how to pronounce everything. It is actually quite funny.
It is amazing how the Lord can help his missionaries so much. I have learned more Czech than I thought possible. Even though I don't know if I will ever actually be able to speak fluent Czech, i think I have already learned everything in Czech that I learned the first year in Spanish class. It's amazing.
It's also amazing how well you have to know the gospel to be able to teach it.I had a really neat experience last night. The main focus of the MTC so far has been that you have to have the spirit with you to teach. It is hard to really test that when you are just teaching the people in your district. But last night we went to the referrel center to call and confirm Books fo Mormon and DVD's had been given to the people. I had been hung up on, sworn at, told I was evil, and then the last caller I talked to I was able bear testimony and I felt the spirit prompt me what to say. He really listened. I was so grateful for that opportunity. I only have half an hour on the computer total so I would still prefer you to write me real letters if you would. I love you so much. I know the gospel is true. I love you all.
Love,
Sestra Hill
(Don't forget to comment so I can send your replies to Hannah this Sunday)
Good job on learning czech Hannah! That would be rough to be the only one learning it...but God knew what he was doing! He knew you could stick with it and get through it strong! Love you! -Gretchen
ReplyDeleteThe Lord sure did hand pick you for the job my friend! I have all the faith in the world in you. A little side note from James...he says that the the missionaries (who were in Hong Kong with him) who spoke the best Cantonese were those with a musical background. I'd say that being a part of the Hill family you'd fall right into that musical group...I bet it's helping right? :-)
ReplyDeleteI think of you often! Good luck and keep up the good work! You're such a great example to all of us!
You are doing great, Hannah! I am so proud of you, your humility and willingness to serve. It is such a blessing for our family to have you serving the Lord. Love you much, Tammy
ReplyDeleteHannah, I am so excited to hear about how amazing you already are as a missionary. It seems like that would be both difficult and great to have your teachers all to yourself to learn Czech. I'm glad that you had a good experience in the referral center...I think that is just a precursor of how amazing you are going to be as you preach the Gospel in the Czech Republic!
ReplyDeleteI think about you all the time, and about how neat it is that you are now a sister missionary. Keep up the hard work! Sure love ya friend!
Ardis
Hi Hannah,
ReplyDeleteChris in Wales 'ere, sounds like you are doing well, when do you go the Czech Republic? and could I have your address then I can write and email to you. A good friend of mine is serving in Vienna and I was able to meet up with her for an hour while I was spending a couple of nights their on my way home from Knofstein where I spent Christmas.
I can't believe it's been THAT long since you've left for your mission. Time sure does fly. Now you're back, married, and rocking life!
ReplyDelete